Re: Different theologies seeing the same thing

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 23:06:38 -0000

drscience3000:

> HQ says that different peoples can look at the same thing. For
> example, there are multiple sun gods and different cultures can
> interact with it as if it was there god. My question is, what
> happens when they meet and talk about this. Do they understand
> that the other guys see something different? Of does one side assume
> the other side is lying/delusional/etc.

It is often a matter of interpretation.

For example, if someone sees a deity turn his back and walk away then he might think that the deity was spurning the offer of help. Someone else might see the deity going to fetch something, returning later to help. The two mythologies would have very different interpretations of the same action.

So, Orlanth killing Yelm is seen by one side as the freeing of the world from an overbearing, stagnant tyrant and by the other side as the ending of e perfect, harmonious just realm by an evil upstart rebel. The consequences of the act are the making of room for the Storm Tribe, or the destruction of the world, or the bringing of the Fiery Pain and destruction of a people to Hell.

How do they see it?

Most people would think that the other side got it wrong or were lying. Only those who managed to see what happened from both sides would have any chance of working out the truth, and only a few people might have done that. Arkat did, when he manifested Humakt and Zorak Zoran, for example.

Simon