Re: Benefits to Agriculture of Gloranthan Rituals & Blessing

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 23:07:58 +0800

On 14/06/2013, at 10:32 PM, "Charles" <charles_at_runegate.org> wrote:

>> I do find it frustrating that the process of what is becoming the new canon is quite as conservative as it is - there is a lot of material out there that wasn't written by Greg, but was prepared in discussion with him, and while it shouldn't be considered canon I'd hope was at least read and carefully considered to see what can be salvaged. I get the feeling that instead a lot of material was deliberately not even considered - and some of it may well work its way back into canon, or at least publication, at some point.

> Canon for everyone is "Your Glorantha Will Vary" - any publication and any posting on the web may and _should_ be used in your Gloranthan game or fanzine or personal website.
>
> However, if you want to write a Gloranthan book to be published by Moon Design or published under license from Moon Design, then Jeff's list at https://plus.google.com/u/0/108191783232173529938/posts/fDrVQYkkS7i and/or http://moondesignpublications.com/page/canon applies. This is just one of the steps used to ensure that 'official' published works are of high quality.
	To get very Gloranthanly obscure, it is a sort of Karsdevanic Clarification process* - Jeff has been quite deliberate in being very clear at what Glorantha is NOT, cutting away a lot of ideas that have become 'agreeably attached'.
	In general, this has been very positive - a lot of thinking about Glorantha has been very much reinvigorated by going back to the core creative ideas, then working outwards from that, carefully laying aside a lot of ideas that have accumulated from taking quick handy explanatory ideas too literally (like removing 'the Orlanthi are like Vikings' etc).
	But still, there are a few points here and there when once you remove the fannish work, what is left simply looks a little bit... less.

	Cheers
		David

*yes, I've been reading obscure Solar stuff as a result of the discussion Peter and I have been involved in about Illumination.