Re: Talents

From: metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 04:26:35 +1200

Considering that integrated Talents didn't return in HeroQuest 1 and that Talents were bumped down to natural magic, it seems to me that the Hero Wars interpretation was a mistake.  A shaman or Animistic Hero is always going to be working with spirits just as a sorcerer is always going to be working with spells.

I would hence interpret integration as being any step which makes one closer to the spirit world.  Becoming a member of a spirit society is a step in integration.  So is becoming a Shaman.  In this light, acquiring a spirit should not be seen simply as a contractual relationship created between a spirit and a mortal but also as a change in the mortal's understanding of the World Spirit.  As to whether this is mysticism, illumination or whatever, most shamans will stick their fingers in their ears and recite the magic words "God-Learner Bollocks"

--Peter Metcalfe