willows and birch

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_Z-gN1dIvtORjY3c_6pxQUteS8Tqlf6W3iIEwQsrbDbE95b1AxBR9FUwTAaLXAod9or>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:18:01 -0000

Here is where it is important NOT to lean on the real world analogy too heavily. My grandparents farm was in an area even colder than Sartar. No Oaks, no hickory, even maples aren't all that common. Lots of evergreens and birch.

However, except in the highest regions of Sartar, I don't think the climate is that severe. So we should choose the vegetation that makes sense around a typical upland Sartarite stead. In light of which, bring on the willows I say, if they have them in Sartar, let's grow some here!

A quick aside on Birch trees. Lankhor My headed up the "marks on bark" clan. I'd think poorer LM scholars, (and many tallying Issarians) use birch bark. It doesn't generally last as well as sheep skin, nor can you make it in as big sheets, but it can be written on well. In fact, from the waterlogged soil of Novgorad in Russia they've found a treasure trove of scraps of correspondance going back hundreds of years, all written on birch bark. (the waterlogged soil prevented decomposition, the streets of Novgorad were "paved" with logs, and new layers were added periodically, so a lot can be found digging downwards). If it was used in the real world, and we have a myth reference, I'm sure they do it in Sartar.

> I do think though, that the stead should have one commoditty it can
produce
> in surplus, at least in reasonable years. Honey or fish (or magic
for same)
> seem to be the current favourites
> In a stead this size the majority of crafting probably_is_ done in
dark
> season.

It should produce a surplus in decent years. The surplus may not be in just one thing, but in a number of smaller things. However, I'd agree that it is probably easier to write up with a tighter focus.

Hmmm, one possibility would be that the generic write up says something like "in good years the stead produces a small excess of food, crafts, and gathered and hunted material." Then in the "how to specialize the stead" modules say "replace the generic surplus with honey" or whatever.

Just one way to handle the issue, I'm sure there are many others too.

-Bryan