Re: willows and birch

From: o_leppa <oleppa_at_s6dNfIv-QF5Og-wJ6Tc7ZK4wzTuNHRuaD6l53OAVpYMdhk5mawFA8IiULUVefItCDGNIu>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:57:49 -0000

> > the stead should produce a reasonable willow mead. Or is it too
> cold? Bryan?

Could someone explain this mead to me? Is it extracted in the spring from the willow? Sweet liquid? We extract birch's fluids in this manner.

> However, except in the highest regions of Sartar, I don't think the
> climate is that severe. So we should choose the vegetation that
> makes sense around a typical upland Sartarite stead. In light of
> which, bring on the willows I say, if they have them in Sartar,
let's
> grow some here!

If there're birches, there should be willows in my experience.

> A quick aside on Birch trees. Lankhor My headed up the "marks on
> bark" clan. I'd think poorer LM scholars, (and many tallying
> Issarians) use birch bark. It doesn't generally last as well as
> sheep skin, nor can you make it in as big sheets, but it can be
> written on well. In fact, from the waterlogged soil of Novgorad in
> Russia they've found a treasure trove of scraps of correspondance
> going back hundreds of years, all written on birch bark. (the
> waterlogged soil prevented decomposition, the streets of Novgorad
> were "paved" with logs, and new layers were added periodically, so
> lot can be found digging downwards). If it was used in the real
> world, and we have a myth reference, I'm sure they do it in Sartar.

I'd like to add that the birch bark is extremely useful substance. You can make about everything from it (from shoes to backpacks).

Otto