Re: Plug-ins

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_MANnQFEE5Fchu4sClcOU0RTfF3gTqRHzwb45V44OGFfhFJ0uge7-mqBSL9LqBydDh1It>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:50:33 -0600

At 11:43 AM -0800 2/24/02, John Hughes wrote:
>Peter:
>
>The stead typology certainly convinced me, though I suspect there is
>potential for larger steads than you think viable in certain locations,
>where issues such as defence are a top priority. But that's a topic for
>future steads.
>
>Thanks for your comments on the resource list - I will amend it further
>tonight. Originally, it was about resources other than main crops and
>animals, but I see that we should try and be inclusive.

        I think its kind of important to spell out what the major crops/animals are, if only for mythic/religious reasons.

        All steads should have a passel of cows -- plus worshippers of Uldra and Orlanth the Herder (TR is at home), as well as the usual Durev the Steadholder initiates.

        Most steads should have a fair number of sheep -- suggesting at least some Nevana (?) worshippers and adult Voirif initiates (are they all Heleri or is Voirif also a subcult of Orlanth?). Large enough sheep herds (reasonable in a weaving clan) might suggest increased Heler worship (possibly with a shrine or a "sheep shrine" dedicated to the sheep/shepherd gods) in general, as well as a higher regard for cotters.

        Some steads will have significant pig herds -- increased worship of Entra, probably no greater regard for cotters but, perhaps, with increased power for the Earth side of the Storm Tribe

        Goats are out, apparently, which is a pity -- I rather like goats (just as good friends, mind you) -- but the mythic connections are way too strong to ignore.

        Any other large domestic animals?

        If the clan relies on fowl, that suggests something else about the clan -- either "Goose Mother" worship or more initiates of hunting gods. Does anyone know about turkeys in Sartar?

        The produce is going to go similarly -- if anything beyond the usual wheat/barley/rye is raised, there will need to be worshippers of the correct deities to make sure everything is done correctly. While there doesn't seem to be any gods of garden produce (I suppose Garden-Ernalda is covered by Ernalda the Steadwife), if the clan had something special, they might need a specialized god to look over it ("We put out custard for Turnip Boy every Earth Day..."). So, what produce do we find in Sartar, anyway? Turnips, rutabagas, carrots, onions, leeks, cabbages, certainly. How about potatoes? tomatoes? garlic? Apples? Olives? Citrus of any sort (I'd think not)?

        Anyway, all of this suggests that smaller steads are also more focused -- you just don't have enough initiates to cover all your bases -- and have fewer "special crops."

Peter Larsen