Re: Work page, Resource Lists

From: Darran <darransims_at_zj1BnsMzmRWAUT8f8QAZ625dcXq-p4nSJcHdm_adWpTukYcmtMxnlQd0wGxC8X2Zi>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:16:10 -0000

> John Hughes wrote:
> > Some great stuff from Ian on drinks - I'll
> incorporate this into the flora fauna essay if that
> is ok by you.
>
> I would be flattered, please do. Feel free to ask any
> follow up questions you might have.
>
> > >* Sartar has hops; I'm sure of it.
> > I personally regard hops as an unnecessary
> anachronism. YGMV. :)
>
> When hops were first introduced people disliked its
> taste as too, well... hoppy. Seeing as we do have a
> reference to the Hendarli and hops I am still vaguely
> amused by the idea of Alakoring clans drinking beer as
> opposed to ale, a fact that Quivini clans mock, but
> YMMV.

I am sure I saw something in "Tales.."; issue two I think, which had an artical called 'Hops Wars'.
The Lunars had taxed the import of hops into Sartar as part of their action against the rebels. Especially if the clan chiefs drink the best beer ( not ale.) I can not remember all the details as I only have "Tales..." from issue 4.
BTW brewers dislike the word water for the fluid that they add to the brew. Instead they call it LIQUOR. ;-)

Cheers Darran.

... Aeolia, where the storm-clouds have their home, a place teeming with furious winds from the south. Here Aeolus is king, and in a vast cavern he controls the brawling winds and the roaring storms, keeping them curbed and fettered in their prison. Resentfully they rage from door to door in the mountainside, protesting loudly, while Aeolus sits in his high citadel, sceptre in hand, taming their arrogance and controlling their fury.

                        Virgil.  The Aeneid.