RE: Re: Fyrd size & emergencies

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_g3tXVvUisAv3-wU4outwZPIatAWsaBIXdquCA58KT_n9qrFT0130CcE5qrUFFcqhbCl9o0V>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:43:53 -0000

Bryan wrote:

>>> The remaining adults can fight in an emergency (though a >>> percentage are unfit for military service - about 5%)

>> Are we *really* saying that 95% of Heortling men and women >> aged 15+ are "fit for military service"?

> It might depend on your definition of an emergency.

It would also depend on your definition of "military service".

I have no problem accepting that any non-incapacitated person will try to fight off trolls who have come to devour them, using any weapon that comes to hand. I do not accept as a corrolary that "95% of Heortling adults are fit for military service".

> I wouldn't call anything much short of absolute survival to be that
> sort of an emergency. I'm sure you can't get 95% of the adults for
> any sort of "military service, no matter how dire the situation

Me too. I think we are in complete agreement, even vociferous agreement! The terminology of "fit for military service" is misleading -- we're saying that 95% of Heortling adults are strong enough to poke a spear, fling a clod or swing a rolling-pin (or rug!) in anger, even though you're unlikely ever to get more than 40% of Heortling adults to come any significant distance from their homes to do so. That works for me. Focus on the 20% (of total population) in the fyrd, not the 95% (of adults) not actually crippled/bedridden/sworn to pacifism.

Cheers, Nick