dragon pass questions

From: glorantha-board_at_rpglist.org <(glorantha-board_at_rpglist.org)>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:09:47 EDT

Answers from memory, rather than actually checking in the rules, so they may be wrong but...

<< 1) Do counters destroyed by the chaos magic of the crimson bat count as
the
 requirement for feeding the bat on each black & dying day?>>

Yes.

 In other words, does the bat simply have to be in contact with a non-magic immune stack in order to be fed? If the bat is in a stack, do any casualties taken by an enemy stack fighting against it count toward feeding the bat?

I think no. If the bat misses a meal it is too lazy to get its own meals and must be fed.

 <<2) If sacrificing to the Hydra, does the sacrifice have to take place each  time the Hydra moves, or only once?>>

Only once.

 <<3) In my counter stacks, there appears to be a Sartar counter which isn't  listed in the Battalia. It's part of the Sartar Free Army set and is  labelled "Gold-Gotti" on the rear. Has this simply been omitted from the  battalia, or is it not supposed to be in the game? In either case, what does  it represent.>>

"Gold gotti" represents the retinue of the merchant prince "Gold Gotti" - it is a bad pun but he features as an NPC in Hero Wars "Barbarian Adventures" p17, p19, where his best ability is bargain 19W3

<< 4) I presume that a stack can only move at the rate of it's slowest member
 and can only use a special movement ability if all the counters in that  stack have the appropriate rune? I guess this has to figured on an "honour"  basis.>>

You can split stacks during movement. Essentially each counter moves on its own, the only special cases being Treasures and things with ZERO MF, which must be carried, oh and stuff that adds or multiplies movement like the spirit of movement and horse herds.

<< 5) For a game that pays so much attention to flavour (and benefits hugely
as
 a result) it seems a little odd to me that the chaos-hating Sartarites are  allowed to ally chaotic creatures like Hungry Jack, Hydra and Delecti and  his Zombies. Is this an omission for the sake of the game, or did I miss  something in the fluff?>>

If you view Prince Argrath as a bad guy it doesn't seem so strange. He is allied with Harrek after all. Alternatively, they might justify it on the basis that they have cunningly convinced their enemies to fight each other. (as an aside, in my Tarsh Civil war scenario "Careless Tork costs lives" I had some alliances that were not allowed - one side could ally with, the other could not ally with but could prevent alliances, but it did not really add to game play a huge amount.) Alternatively, role play it and say that Prince Argrath can ally with chaos but he loses the moral victory - a thing not assessed by mere victory conditions.

 <<6) How the hell does anyone remember all the rules for the various exotics?
 The main ones are bad enough :)>>

Just remember which ones are stack zappers (Craters, Cragspider, Earthshakers, Thunderwalkers) and the ones that have long ranges. Bear in mind the spirit of movement, the cloak of darkness and rain while they are available. Always consider the unallied independants as they can quickly appeat and wreak havoc. Having said that, one of the fun things about DP is thinking of a cunning strategy that utilises an exotic magic (or two) and carrying out some madcap scheme that turns the tide of battle.

Keith