was Re: Hungry Jack

From: Chris Ward <cw67q>
Date: Tue Jan 17 16:40:36 2006

Hi Folks,

On 17 Jan 2006 at 8:11, buserian_at_juno.com wrote:

To:             	glorantha-board_at_rpglist.org
Date sent:      	Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:11:33 -0800
Subject:        	was Re: Hungry Jack
From:           	buserian_at_juno.com
Send reply to:  	Discussion list for Gloranthan board games <glorantha-board_at_rpglist.org>
	<glorantha-board.rpglist.org>
	<mailto:glorantha-board-request_at_rpglist.org?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:glorantha-board-request_at_rpglist.org?subject=subscribe>

> Hi Chris,
>
> > I would like to see more minor spirits available for alliance.
> Generally at specific sites like
> > TS, and the rules on-line for Balazar (after all DP ain't Prax).
> Perhaps only designated animist
> > units have the know how to attempt these alliances eg certain magicians
> for sartar, maybe
> > thunder delta for lunars (as someone mentioned earlier they could be a
> bit less bland).
> >
> > If the TWin Stars could be summoned by the Lunars, they would enetr the
> game more
> > frequently.
> >
> > May call for more decisions - shoukld I send my priests to the battle
> line, or hold some back
> > at holy places going for a couple of spirits?
>
> I concur completely, but the issue of spirits is tricky. First, however,
> completely erase the word "animist" from your vocabulary here -- this is
> Dragon Pass, not HeroQuest, and the Three Worlds have no effect on the
> game. Some of the magicians are animists, and I am certain you could find
> a theist who, at the DP scale, would look identical to one of the great
> shamans.

:-) I have some of the HQ supplements, but not HQ itself. I figued animist was a reasonable shorthand for what I wanted to say.

> I would not give each side more than 4-6 traditional spirits available to
> them, and the Grazers get only 2-3, but there should be 6 or so
> independents scattered around the board, like the Spirit of Movement,
> available to anyone who comes to them. Chalk Man is one I have long
> considered, the Six Sisters (as a single counter) could be another, etc.

That sounds a reasonable scale. Spirits should be a fun addition and worth going for, but shouldn't be a huge element of DP.

Yeah, probably right. - Chris

Chris Ward

cw67q_at_udcf.gla.ac.uk
Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories