was Re: Hungry Jack

From: buserian_at_juno.com <buserian>
Date: Tue Jan 17 16:20:12 2006

Hi Chris,

> I would like to see more minor spirits available for alliance.
Generally at specific sites like
> TS, and the rules on-line for Balazar (after all DP ain't Prax).
Perhaps only designated animist
> units have the know how to attempt these alliances eg certain magicians
for sartar, maybe
> thunder delta for lunars (as someone mentioned earlier they could be a
bit less bland).

> If the TWin Stars could be summoned by the Lunars, they would enetr the
game more
> frequently.
>
> May call for more decisions - shoukld I send my priests to the battle
line, or hold some back
> at holy places going for a couple of spirits?

I concur completely, but the issue of spirits is tricky. First, however, completely erase the word "animist" from your vocabulary here -- this is Dragon Pass, not HeroQuest, and the Three Worlds have no effect on the game. Some of the magicians are animists, and I am certain you could find a theist who, at the DP scale, would look identical to one of the great shamans.

I would not give each side more than 4-6 traditional spirits available to them, and the Grazers get only 2-3, but there should be 6 or so independents scattered around the board, like the Spirit of Movement, available to anyone who comes to them. Chalk Man is one I have long considered, the Six Sisters (as a single counter) could be another, etc.

> > > - grazelanders need something a little better than just the horse
herds

> > I would give them a Nomad Gods-style shaman plus a couple of spirits.
>

> Yes, but I would use a similar limitation to that which we used for
Praxian shaman leaving
> their homelands in the old TRD scenario. ie (s)he would have full
shaman/fetch powers
> within grazelands, but be more limited outside. Perhaps when stacked
with the tribal medicine
> bundle they retain their full powers. A lot of ideas like this were
discussed in the past e.g.
> medicine bundle can carry one spirit out of Prax that can subsequently
be released, staying
> for one full round (perhaps departing on a die roll).
>
> A full NG style shaman/fetch counter without limitations would be too
much of a boost for
> the Grazelanders. Anyway I think Shaman should be very powerful on
their homeground, but
> weaker away from their familiar spirits.

Interesting idea. Worked MUCH better before shaman and fetch became a single counter (an innovation I like), as you could always just disrupt a shaman outside their homeland. But, weakening them outside the homeland makes sense. I would just limit their magical abilities outside their homeland. This does not even count, in my book, as a _change_ so much as a rule that wasn't in Nomad Gods because it wasn't necessary there (since all of Prax is their homeland). So, not a change, just a clarification/addition. :)

> > Yes, I'd like a change of this nature as well. Once an independent is
> > allied, can't you continue to burn diplomacy points to try to bribe
them
> > away or ensure no one else does? What I would do would be to make
sure
> > this IS the rule, then give certain events or Random Events a point
value
> > for appropriate independents. Thus, if you ally with a Chaos entity
of
> > any kind, you get -X DPs wih the Exiles, the Beast-men, etc. If a
capital
> > city is sacked, that's an automatic -20 DPs; any lesser holding of
that
> > nation sacked is -10 DPs; etc.
>
> Or start with different DP targets for each side? eg it takes more dps
for the exiles to ally with
> lunar rather than sartar? Although, whilst this came to mind as a
"obvious" e.g. thinking about
> recent tarsh supplements, maybe going with the Lunars is more
understandable as an option
> for the exiles. At least I can now see the dynamics at work a bit
better : look, we're starving &
> they have corn.

Basically, it depends on who is leading them, and what historical events occur. BUT, I don't mind the idea of some of the independents having different DP targets for different players. Keep in mind that DP has to be looked at closely at some point, to take into account multi-game games (like the trolls as a 4th player in Dragon Pass).

Hell, I'd like to see a scenario where the trolls go at it against Sartar, and the LUNARS are available as an ally!

> Perhaps if they go lunar, instaed of the erthshakres & moonhaters, the
lunar player should get
> "Corn Dancers" and maybe some other imported priestesshood counters.
The earthshaker &
> moonhaters being eliminated or going to Sartar in disgust (minus their
special abilities, due to
> the temple being profaned). CD should have some mesmerising special
like similar to hyena,
> or 3 bean. If this is not good enough to replace the ES special for the
lunars, maybe the new
> red earth temple (replacing the shakers) functions as a glow spot?

No, I don't think having special battalia depending on who allies them is appropriate. Too complicated, IMO.

Cheers,

Steve