missile fire table

From: buserian_at_juno.com <buserian>
Date: Sun Jan 22 18:51:13 2006

Howdy All,

Glad there were some messages finally -- 2 days without, I was beginning to wonder if we needed to threaten to turn off the list or something. :)

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 02:21:26 EST Labrygon_at_aol.com writes:

> > Which is actually something I have never liked. I don't suppose
anyone
> > thinks beefing up the Missile Fire Table just a little bit would be
out
> > of order?
>
> I agree - I think it should be beefed up. Not sure how much by though.
Not
> twice as powerful, but maybe 50% more effective.

I was thinking either change it so that it works on the same table as melee (giving X CF per missile factor, maybe on an increasing scale of some kind), or just liberalize the table a little bit -- leave 1 and 2 the same, but separate out 3 and 4, then do 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, and 11+. Or something like that. Also, perhaps make the minimum roll a '1' no matter how many negatives you get, though I don't know about that. Something just doesn't seem right that 10 missile factors could ever have NO effect, though I suppose if you are stacked with a dragon in a fortress, what SHOULD be able to dislodge you? :)

The more I think about it, though, if the Attack Table is liberalized to include Disrupt and Retreat options, I would want to take Missile Fire and roll it into that same main table. Maybe even with a special rule, something like:

Each missile factor allows the attacking missile unit to apply its full CF in an attack against the defending units. When selecting casualties, the missile unit applies its CF normally, but instead of eliminating the defending unit it is merely disrupted. The attacking player can choose to apply double the normal CF loss to a defending unit to eliminate it instead.

Or something like that. Doesn't work quite well, since many Missile Units have very low CFs, but something like this might work. Alternately, use my hex-shaped counters, and one of the two new factors we add is Missile Factor, which gives missile fire a normal factor value for missile combat. Or something, I'd have to think about it more and then have several different ways of doing it playtested to see what worked best.

Steve