duels; divination; science

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 23:45:58 -0500

Rob Heinsoo says:
>Martin, please submit your Old Pavis Squarebeard Hallway
>Duelling System in playable form, else I shall surely have to
>simulate it via Live Action Roleplay when my brother comes to
>visit for Thanksgiving.

What you saw is all there is now. Thinking out loud (on screen?), I'd say that it uses 2-handed staff skill or 2-handed spear skill, whichever is higher. Duelers wear as much armor as they can scrounge up. During the last few decades of the troll occupation, metal armor was scarce and the Squarebeards picked up the troll habit of using chitin from giant insects. It's inferior, but plentiful in troll areas. Combat ends when one fighter cannot use his weapon or is knocked down. (I use the male pronoun because women do not hall-fight. They use witchcraft against their rivals instead.)

>No, but seriously, I like the idea, and I'm just kicking myself
>for never having seen your Masks in Pavis material -- Codex #1,
>I take it?

Right.

Re: gods as self-aware entities

     Here's a thought: Monrogh's revelation of Yelmalio is a revelation about the god formerly known as Elmal. Thus, if you ask Yelmalio by Divination whether a particular Elmal cultist is a member of Yelmalio's cult, he'll tell you that the worshiper is, but that he doesn't have the full revelation. Sort of the way certain RW monotheists think about each other. But if you ask Elmal whether the YO dude is a cultist, he'll tell you that the target worshiper has severed himself from Elmal.

     People seem to make much of the spirit of retribution argument. I feel that s.o.r.'s don't always attack apostates. (But any PC apostates in my campaign can bet they'll be pummelled.)

     Anyway, Divination is not a form of telegram from your deity. Rather, the diviner's cry for help on a particular topic may or may not be addressed by the god. Check out the divinations in recent RQ publications for examples of the difficulty in interpreting divinations. Also, impious divination questions tend to be answered by orders to perform dangerous quests or by other hardship. If you lack faith, then your god should test you, to strengthen your faith.

     Divination is appropriately used in what we think of as trials, if the matter is sufficiently important. Remember that ordeals *are* forms of divination. Again, though, ambiguous answers are the rule. (Let's hear YOU explain to your dog why your roommate kicked him.)

John Hughes says:
>Cultural relativism and the GodLearners AGAIN? I guess Greg was
>right about time being cyclic.

It's not my fault--Sandy started it! ;-)

Simon Hibbs says:
>The rigorous objectivity of the scientific method has done us
>good service. But that mind set is seriously cramped in
>Glorantha. Reality is different there, magic is not just a
>suplementary footnote to the laws of physics. Magic is the union
>of the subjective and the objective through the exercise of
>will. Thus a rigorously objectivist analysis is incapable of
>explaining what is going on.

Oh? Is that what the Mostali say? Or the Malkioni? Those are the only two groups to whom the notion of objectivity is familiar. To sorcerers in general and the God Learners in particular, magic is simply the skillful manipulation of natural laws.

"She blinded me! With science!"

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #9