Ritual Reigns

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 01 Dec 94 14:55:38 EST

Erik:

> Rituals for a good reign under a healthy king exist in the real world,
> and I am sure they exist in Glorantha as well - they are probably even
> mentioned somewhere already, it is just that I cannot remember any
> instances of it.

I've come to think the 'Idealist' system in Loskalm can in some ways be seen as an ongoing ritual ceremony, for maintaining the kingdom's peace and prosperity. The great offices at court are filled with people who faithfully act out their appointed roles, keeping up appearances at all costs. Being generally down on the self-righteous Hrestoli, I then draw comparisons with Moorcock's "Gloriana" or the latter days of the Round Table...

All kingship is essentially sacral/ritual in nature: the existence of a king should be a key religious consideration for all his subjects. Even more so in Glorantha than in the real world, naturally.

Nick