Lion heads and the EWF

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 22:23:33 +1300

Greybeard:

Harald wrote:

_at_ Durbaddath by extension might be a Mountain Lion-headed god who later _at_ replaced that head with that of a Pelorian Lion (or as Peter suggests

>Durbaddath may well be a cvilised god, a slayer of lions who took
>their heads as trophies and stole some power from them...

Durbaddath is not civilized. His son was the ancestor of the Votanki Savages. Furthermore, the decapitation was involunatry and not desirable (so you don't go round thinking that the Votanki were actually proto-   Yelm or Murharzarm gave him the lion's head as a substitute. It's a good idea though. Keep thinking. I don't actually know that much about durbaddath...

Jeff:

Nick wrote:

>>I am puzzled by your belief that the EWF wasn't particularly draconic. I don't
>>see what you gain by this, and am rather attached to what we lose. They had
>>armies of half-human half-draconic creatures; true dragons; even the mighty
>>Sun Dragon itself. More than you'd expect from a mere "cabal".

> OK perhaps my terminology was not as precise as it should have been. In
>my interpretation of the EWF (and unfortunately, like many things, it was
>developed before I read KoS) I've always granted that the leadership of the
>Empire was draconic, but at the same time I envisioned that leadership group
>as being numerically quite small and culturally quite distinct from the
>subject population.

The key feature about the EWF was not that it was small but its rule was oppressive. The plan was a pyramid scheme which would be *sustained* by the eventual awakening of the grand dragon.

>Who needs hordes of converts to the Dragon Way when you
>have Dragons, Dragonnewts and other draconic creatures as your allies?

I think the answer to this question lies in the fact that the Dragonewts have no mythic potential (ability to change the heroplane) because IMO Humakt never went after the Inhuman King. Thus for the Draconised humans, having an army of dragonewts is not sufficient for their mythic aims. They must have humans performing rites so they can advance.

> Beyond a small handful of apparantly contradicting stories (did Rostand
>the Speaker or did Vistikos Left-eye found the EWF? or somebody else?),

Vistikos founded the Waltzing and Hunting Bands, the Spiritual Arm of the EWF to speak. The EWF itself formed in the aftermath of the Tax Slaughter was founded by Rostand to look after the material interests of the Draconic Collective.

> Actually, my ongoing curiosity for the EWF has another underlying
>question: just what exactly are True Dragons?

The quickest way to find the secret about a true dragon is through his stomach. You might as well ask just exactly what are gods?