Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #55

From: Richard Ohlson <hasni_at_hogbbs.scol.pa.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 22:20:24 -0500

I believe it was David Dunham that replied first to my "Fall of Whitewall " Query.

Gee, the Lunar Empire doesn't really spout non factual propoganda does it? Wow...my eyes have been opened. ;)

Well, if I had to do it again, (i.e., if I ran another campaign and started BEFORE the event), I would definatly make any Dragon Pass PC's, or even Rune Lords have some bizzare dreams, fight a very very VERY minor shadow of the BAT, and give them nightmares for weeks. I sort of assume that all the people that disappeared from Whitewall slipped onto the godplane to do a huge HeroQuest (in which about 99% will die, of course), but will come back with a big fat weapon to smack the Red Goddess with. Has anybody worked up a scenario with PC's in Whitewall during or right before the fall?

There was a set of books by Weiss and Hickman (based on the OTHER game), that dealt with the gods in a pretty strict way. The Gods themselves couldn't affect the world, but their servants could. I forget the name of the series, but it was pretty good.

Anyhow, I visualize the gods in a way I can understand. They are specific creatures, their history is our myths. It is no more possible to change their past than it is to change our own. However, it is possible to change their (and therefore OUR) reality-through serious, heavy duty heroquesting.

The gods can not do anything meaningful in the realworld due to the compromise. They cannot change anything on the godplane becuase Time won't let them. BUT, they can encourage their followers to go to the Godplane and change what they can. (If the god really wants to.) Or, like Humakt does-they can resist any changes that heroquesters try to bring about. I see the Lunars and Chaos as bringers of change- Orlanth is very happy as "King of the gods", and most of the Orlanthi gods seem content if not happy with their niches.

Richard Ohlson                                hasni_at_hogbbs.scol.pa.us