Cauldrons and food

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 16:07:24 +0800

        Possibly in an attempt to win an award for 'most obscure topic for discussion', I would like to refer back to an obscure point mentioned by John Hughes (as an aside in another discussion) about the significance of the list of Kallyrs companions not mentioning her 'Food Man' (though it does mention a her conventional cook). Now, I have still never heard of the significance of the position of 'Food Man' as an important companion to chief/ruler, though I would be interested to hear a reference - however it sounds reasonable enough to me - frex if the position was important, then Geo is obviously 'Food Man to Sartar'.

        Now where this discussion is leading is to Johns theory that the Food Man of Kallyr was Argrath himself, tactfully omitted from later lists, so as not to cause any reminders of previous low station of the High King.

        The reason I bring up this theory is because Argrath is known to have accomplished the heroquest of the Dinking Giants Cauldron. What sort of thing is this cauldron? Is it a magical cornucopia or inexhaustible source of drink? If so it lends a lot of support to the theory that Argrath served Kallyr initially as provisioner. If it does not, what does it do? Cauldrons exist with all sorts of magical effects - the Black Cauldron of Welsh myth, which resurrests the dead, though struck dumb.

        So, anyone want to comment on what the Drinking Giants Cauldron is, what the quest involves, and wether it is the sort of Quest that PCs could have a crack at, or assist in at least. My PCs are currently just arrived at Gonn Ortas castle, so a good time to foreshadow anything. Speaking of whom, any bets on the parents of the giant baby (particularly the mother)?

        Perhaps I should have asked all this first of John Hughes specifically, but I just archived all my RQ mail, and so I have nobodies address.

        Cheers
                Dave