The Spoken Word

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 1995 21:55:23 +1300

Happy New Year!

Nick Brooke:

> ________
> DEIPOLIS

>(Tune: "Jerusalem")

Can Khorzanelm the Magnificent run sub four minute miles? Do his sycophants say he can?

Martin Crim:

wrote an interesting piece (I agree with his thesis) but my pedantry got the better of me.

>The Sun
>County pioneers were culturally Theyalan, but came from Peloria,
>where we find a different sub-family of the Theyalan language
>family.

I take issue with this. There were native sun worshippers in Dragon Pass at the Dawn. Now after 575 ST, the Kingdom of Dragon Pass becomes increasingly Dara Happanized (their worship is based on the Old Solar Imperial Theocracy and they were revolting aginst the darkness worshipping trolls). Only later does Orlanth managed to be integrated into the EWF. Thus IMO the Sun Country pioneers spoke Manirian Theyalan. Furthermore the gulf between the Pelorian and the Manirian branches comes after the Dragonkill war, [IMO also].

> The Sun County people came to the River of Cradles speaking
>a Pelorian Theyalan language. They were isolated there, with
>only Pavis as an ally. Pavisites spoke Old Pavic, a language
>related to Auld Wyrmish--not at all Theyalan.

Old Pavic is mentioned in the Glorantha book as being a Manirian Theyalan tongue cf the example with Rurik the Restless. The EWF spoke a theyalan tongue (cf the same article where it is said the common speech in Peloria six centuries ago was an extinct theyalan tongue - this refers I think to the EWF domination of Dara Happa. Methinks the EWF used Spoken Auld Wyrmish (similar to Draconic but with an Theyalan Grammer IMO) as a magical tongue to be spoken in rites. When the Inhuman King betrayed the EWF, I think he rendered the rites impotent and everybody forgot Auld Wyrmish as an afterthought. The EWF theyalan tongue was pratically wiped out in the following wars.

> The Sun County dialect is in the Pelorian sub-family, which
>makes the Speak SCD skill 1/3 of one's Speak Tarshite, for
>example, or 1/10 of one's Speak Sartarite. And a native speaker
>of SCD (Scud?) speaks Tarshite at 1/3 his Speak SCD and speaks
>Sartarite at 1/10 his Speak SCD.

I would make Old Pavic and SCD a single language but a -10% (-20%?) penalty when speaking with each other (more like Attics and Dorians, English and Scots and so forth)

>(There has to be a better name
>than Sun County dialect or Scud: Sunny? S'Countite? Scite?
>Bart Simpson?)

Godsown? Sunsown? Sunzone?

>The
>rules only mention the dialects of Janubian, but really every
>little area should have a distinctive way of speech.

Land of the Ninja had something on this. Pelorian Farmer Languages could be considered an extreme case of this.

>In modern
>America, we tend to forget about this, as there's relatively
>little variation.

Que? What about New York and Texas? I would say that AE dialets have a great deal of mutual intelligiblity (mainly because of TV) instead of there being little variation in AE.

>Another thing about language is temporality. We all believe in
>the existence of time partly because English is temporal, and
>it's hard to express atemporality in it. Aldryami and Mostali,
>and to an extent Darktongue, have a cyclical basis. These
>languages have changed little since the advent of Time, and the
>Mostali even deny the reality of time. Thoughts, comments,
>flames?

Mostali deny the Gods War is over, not that Time has started. Their method of labelling time by work periods does not look very cyclical to me. I do believe aldryami is being cyclical, but darktongue? You might as well argue that English is cyclical on the existance of seasons, hours, days, indiction cycles, centuries and so forth. I really think the level of atemporality would be far more linked with the level of abstract thought one's culture has. Thus the left path tribes would be atemporal whereas the Malkioni are not.