Languagising.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 10:37:10 GMT

Truls Parsson asserts that:
> Nils Weinander has japanised the Kralorelan names.
> Ming Tzu La (Metsyla), Ga Dong Ah (Godunya) etc.

Nope, a Japanese would find these at least as unpronouncable as the originals, or at least, as unspellable. But while we're on the subject, and since I've broached the subject elsewhere: should "Vormainian" names be Japanised? I've been inclining towards the view that they should, at least somewhat, but is there Massive Resistance to this idea?

Refresher course: Japanese has a (basically) consonant-vowel syllabary, has no stressed syllables, and lacks several of the sounds of western languages. So a (strictly) Japanised rendering of "Vormain" might be "Borumain", or "Forumain" (the "main" being pronounced "mine" rather than "mane").

Areku(su).