Suicide is painless...

From: Nick Eden <pheasant_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 95 08:48 GMT

The suicide business makes me think of a character in my PenDragon Pass campaign. It's been a while and I can't remember the guy's name (it'll come a couple of minutes after I post, I know it will).

This man was the father of one of the PC's, and a farmer. It came to pass that he was the oldest man in the valley, apart from mad Osric, but he didn't count. At the age of sixty he suddenly started petitioning his cheif to be sent on a warrior's missions. He was old, he knew he didn't have long left, and didn't want to die in bed. He wanted to sit at Orlanth's high table, rather than just be serving at it.

Most of the PC's took this in their stride, but his son was agast and kept trying to talk him out of it. Everyone else saw that this man deserved his chance to die a hero's death. The son saw it his father trying to get someone to kill him and didn't like the idea, for which he was rather done down by the other PCs.