Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #140

From: David Gadbois <gadbois_at_cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 01:04:37 -0600

   From: Argrath_at_aol.com:
   David Gadbois has some capsule summaries of Sun County Yelmites.    How'd these guys get there?

The bureaucrat, the spook, and the military guys are involved Lunar occupation. Wanthan the trader and Sarenth the student are in Pavis for an extended stay but will be traveling on later. The scholars, are, well, scholars, and will be in the area for quite a while.

Jenaro the magistrate and the Vash contingent are more interesting. In the political history of the Empire that Medway and I have been working on, there has been a major (1619) realignment in the power structure in which the Dara Happans lost out big time. Imperial politics being what they are, a number of leaders were killed, many were exiled to the provinces, and some of the lesser figures, like Jenaro and Vash, were sent to the far reaches.

I did not know that Duro-Ebro is a Yelmite. The Dara Happans prefer not to talk about the Dorkati, at least not in public, since those deviants greatly offend their senses of Modesty and Propriety.

   Re: "Going for Yelm"
   I like it, it has MGF, but is it canonical?

No, I just made it up. The South African apartheid parallel seems perfect. Clearly, though, there has to be something in it for the peasantry, particularly if it is going to work in Prax. I imagine that the Yelmic rituals end with the lower classes being given a keg of beer or somesuch, which they use to heighten the effect of their own debauched rituals.

   Dennis Hoover the Iron Vrok kvetches about the righteous heredity    of the holy order:
   Lies and calumnies! All the First People know that Shargash was the    second son of Yelm and Dendara, and that seven brothers followed    him. Vrimak, Antirius, Bijiif, etc (all but Murharzarm) were parts    of Yelm, not sons [blah, blah]

Look, I don't know or care how those prurient sots in Alkoth misremeber our ancestors. In Yuthuppa we know that the One became Many, each of which met their Other in their Own Way. Any other hierarchy is inconceivable: It could only debase the perfect expansion and fulfillment of the Yelmic virtues. And besides, how could the One be Many at once without intervening Enlightenment, in which case the One becomes the Many, and the Many the One. You see, the logic is quite simple, and you would surely realize this if you hadn't been out indulging in unspeakable debaucheries instead of paying attention in school.

   The Sun County supplement seems to imply (page 6) that about 4% of    Sun Countians are Yelmies.

Hmmm, maybe 4% *claim* they worship Yelm. Or perhaps some of the ancient nobility still survive and have not yet been recognized by the Lunars. After all, it has only been recently that Dara Happan theologians have been in Prax. Or maybe it was an intentional oversight. First Blessed?? What was the Goddess *thinking*.