Assorted comments

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 21:46:38 +1300

Sandy:

I wrote:

>>My feeling is that the magical units are really an ancient magical
>>technique of the Dara Happan Empire. [Peter then goes on to describe
>>a fine technique that was no doubt used by the Dara Happans]

Sandy replies:

> But I disagree with your interpretation there. I still hold
>to my theory that the Lunar unbeatability in combat stems from their
>mass use of not-necessarily-all-that-terrific magicians.

> The Lunars emulate this ritual, too, but when they do it,
>they set up ten or fifteen separate planetary circles all at once,
>and, spreading the good priests thinly among the run-of-the-mill
>ones, and then, instead of one really terrific magic blast, the
>lunars get a coordinated thwacking of 10-15 pretty darn good ones.

The comment about mass use of magicians is true as the first battle of chaos records makes clear. I think the Red Goddess originated the mass use tactic and later Lunar magicians hybridized it with the Dara Happan ritual to achieve the formation you describe.

David Dunham:

I wrote:

>>Antirius! Well, that's the God Learner opinion anyway...

David Dunham replies.

>But Antirius is Dara Happan, and the God Learners never got to Peloria... I
>always thought the Elvish sun god was Yelmalio (no matter what name he's
>called by).

_One_ God Learner did get to Peloria. Mikahel Darvenataris, I believe the Priests called him }B-). Exactly what he discovered is still being thrashed out. He travelled to Dara Happa at the behest of the lords of feroda to see it he could find out how to persuade the Pure Horse People to become landed knights, for reasons of defense against the EWF.

That the God Learners _thought_ Antirius = Elvish Sun God is true, IMO. This explains why Yelmalio who first appeared in Winterwood was figured to have fought at the Hill of Gold by Monrogh even though the Hill plays virtually no part in the Elvish myth. In fact, I'm not even sure if the Elvish sun god ever fought Orlanth or Zorak Zoran. Not that the God Learner ever got a chance to test his hypothesis, mind you.