hon-eel, dreams, and sea rituals

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 08:59:00 -0500 (EST)

  Though there has been much speculation about whether HonEel is a Grain   Goddess or not, my feeling is that she much more likely to be a   reincarnation of a (or several) Pelorian land goddesses. If you start   from her first ventures in Oraya, her quests seem to be as much of a land   goddess quest as anything. She takes an early lover, an elf (thus   incarnating as a Green Age land goddess) and they produce a new seed.   Later, she takes on a role as consort or spouse of the sun (thus   incarnating as a Golden Age land goddess) and she fulfills quests as   lover, wife, and mother. When she ventures to Tarsh, she works her way   into the sacred earth rites of Ernalda and becomes part of the full ritual   (thus suggesting a role as a Storm Age land goddess).

  That she can produce a special grain may be part of the powers she gains.   I like Alex' idea of providing the proper nutrients (from the soil of   course) with which to prepare and eat the grain.

  I don't know about other areas, but in Imther the goddess of dreams is the   earthmother, Nealda. When she was taken from the earth and secreted in   Hell, she fell asleep and discovered the palace of dreams, which she made   her own. And though she slept, she sent dreams out into the world to let   men know that she was still alive and that hope still existed in the   world.

  There was a suggestion that Magasta participants may have to ritually   immerse themselves in water. It seems to me that the services for Magasta   would occur in water naturally and that certain parts must be done fully   in the water (and would occur there naturally). Landdwellers must either   hold their breath or use the Breath Water spell to participate.

  However, what I think might make more sense is that the ritual requires   some of the participants to rise OUT of the water (partially or fully) to   reenact the meeting of Magasta with Brastalos. When the participant   leaves the water, they must confront the air gods in some form. This   could be as a foe (Orlanth, etc) or as a lover (Brastalos). This ritual   then determines the relation of those elements for the year.

  Harald