This and that

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 95 10:19:37 +0100

Pterodactyl keets:

Dave Pearton sees some problems:
>Consider that all other keets are based
>on bird analogues, eg ducks, albatrosses, puffins (?) and flamingos
>whereas the Pterodactyl is a reptile analogue

As I see the sorns, the explanation is twofold.

  1. Whereas earth evolution and relationship between species are biological the Gloranthan equivalents are magical. The sorns are related to other keets because they have the same basic outline. A pterodactyl and a dinosaur on the other hand are not.
  2. Way back when, the sorns were just one of the keet tribes. The keets were the messengers and heralds of the Golden Empire. The sorns were nice feathered birds like all the others. Enter chaos: Tyram the Sky Tyrant first tried to win the empire by promises and threats. The sorns fell for that and defected. After that fact they degenerated into the horrible wrinkled featherless abominations they are today. At least this is what East Isles myth says about them. So the pterodactyl association may be an after-construction because that's what they loook like now.

Dinosaurs in Peloria:

While I agree that domstic dinos add to MGF I see one slight problem: such huge plant-eaters need _huge_ grazing areas, and I would guess that a heavily cultivated place like Peloria has little room for them. I mean you don't want a herd of 10 meter long lizards in your maize field do you?

Pam:
>Who was Lodril's
>wife? ( I vote for any local earth goddess. Ol' Stick Man never seemed
>very particular!)

Correction: not 'any local earth goddess' but 'many local earth goddesses'. A god of heat and disorder is nothing if not promiscuous. :-)

/Nils W