Re: Humakti DI

From: rstaats_at_mail.lmi.org
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 95 08:55:51 EST

     Greetings!

        Martin stated:

>Rich Staats suggests that not DI'ing away from Certain Death is like
>ordering your soldiers into attacking enemy machine gun nests.
Sorry it came across *that* way. :-( Martin, I *agree* with you that to be a Hero one must do heroic things. In the Humakt way that would certainly involve risking death. I was suggesting that there are times when prudent military judgement calls for an organized unit to fall back in the face of overwhelming odds. As Sun-Tsu pointed out, the best generals are those who win wars without ever engaging the enemy. Yet, there are times when soldiers are called upon to risk life and limb; it is the nature of the profession. I've been: shot at, had teeth knocked out and been in a coma for several days all because the military requirements of the time demanded it. (On the other hand, I didn't wake up any of those mornings thinking ``this would be a good day to get into a coma!'' ;-) ) If I could have figured out a way of avoiding those things *while* performing my duties and accomplishing the mission, I would have done so. Hope that flows. :-) In service, Rich ------------------------------