Back to the ol' emperors

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 95 16:19:07 +0100

Alex on my Kralorelan imperial bemoanings:
>Steady on there, Nils! I only wanted to know what the list was! ;-)
>Right. But were they the ones Greg meant? I'm not yet clear on
>either what question was being asked, here. Or even what question
>Greg thought he was being asked.

>To be fair to Greg's GI tract, it isn't at all clear what list he said
>was complete in what sense. Maybe he just meant the RQC list is
>"complete" as far as it goes? i.e., Nos. 1 to 6 (Aether to Vayobi)
>are contiguous.

<Sigh> I never thought of that, which of course complicates things further, since I'm now no longer convinced that I'm wrong, or right, or whatever.

Alex on afterlife:
>In other beliefs, there may be no formal judging process at all.
>Particularly in the East, where you'll get reborn as the correct
>entity by the princples of Cosmic Harmony.

Well, in the Kralorelan afterlife devised by Thalurzni you are _not_ reborn, but get out of the cycle by accompanying the emperor to the thirteenth dimension to the left or something.

The people of the East Isles also have a way out: after death your spirit goes to Vithela. If you are worthy you may go on to the Sky World, or for the best of the best: you go to help the Old Sun down in Hell.

Paul Honigmann on netiquette:
>What's with all this netiquette crap, anyway?
> Half the fun of the Digest is watching Alex and Nick having a Flame War.
>They do it with such erudition and finesse.

Well, most of us can't flame with erudition and finesse and thus we just get rude when engaging in such activities, so I'd prefer it if the temperature stays comfortably lukewarm.

Paul Honigmann on lore skills:
>It is my firm opinion that Lores should never have been introduced. If a
>PC has never heard of X in the game, he's never heard of it.

You are perfectly right about exotic info like how to exterminate krarshtkids,  but to banish lore skills altogether is an overly strong measure. They are useful to see if a character knows somewhat more mundane, but still not totally obvious things. But this is probably more a question about how strong plotting you prefer. Anyone who reads the newsgroup reg.games.frp.advocacy will know why I would prefer not to go further into that line of reasoning.

The plausibility of Malkioni oecumenical councils:

OK, modern Real World parallells are probably not especially valid, so the actual value of the following may be quite low. The bishop residing in my home town Karlstad (bishop in the swedish lutheran church) has very good relations with as widely differing christian groups as the Vatican (the bishop is a personal friend of some important cardinal) and the Coptic church in Egypt (don't know how that came to be). If they can have fruitful relations and even participate in oecumenical services I think it isn't altogether impossible that wildly differing Malkioni may at least gather and negotiate.

Or to take an even stronger example. According to what I read the other week, the pope has no objection at all to the building of Europe's biggest mosque near the Vatican. Instead he wished the moslems the best in the effort and hoped for a fruitful cultural exchange.

But of course, our world is an epitome of peace and harmony as we all know...

/Nils W

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #190