Flash 'arry

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 22:11:09 +1100

G'day everyone,

In Loco Parentis

Alison Place:
I was highly entertained by your account of Loco and Damita and their relationship. It's such convolutions of plot that are almost impossible to incorporate into written, publishable scenario.

>One of Duke Raus' men was a Pentan who went by the full name of
>He-Who-Rides-So-Fast-That-He-Breaks-The-Wind-With-His-Passage, or Windbreaker

>for short (Loco in his language). (He had a pony called Hyundai, too.) This

>was based partly on a scenario published as "A Tale to Tell", but much of it
>was Ian's imagination.

I know I'm going to sound a spoilsport, but the wryly amusing name "He-Who-Rides-So-Fast-That-He-Breaks-The-Wind-With-His-Passage" ('Windbreaker' for short) originated in G.M. Fraser's roisteringly good read, 'Flashman and the Redskins', in which Flash Harry (the bully from Tom Brown's Schooldays) inadevertently joins the Apaches and earns this sobriquet on account of his horseriding panache. Flashman - the coward and cad whom Fraser has skilfully inserted into many of the major events and battles of the 19th century - later on in the novel ends up at Little Big Horn (of course), and is partially scalped.

The Flashman series is highly recommended, and with the footnotes and appendices, is a hugely enjoyable way to learn about the highways and byways of Britain's glorious ascendance in the 19th century (and Flashman's inglorious conduct as part of it).

I wish GMF would hurry up and tell us about Flashy's exploits Down Under (obliquely alluded to at various points), and his service in the American civil war (as a colonel of the Confederacy and a Major of the Union!)

MOB