Where does Pune Power come from, Mother?

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 95 22:04:24 GMT

Henk.Langeveld suggests that:
> Rune Power comes from within.

I'm not sure I see the value of this approach. While I've suggested that "sacrificed" POW is still, in some sense part of one's own POW/spirit/soul, I don't think Joe Theist thinks that _he_ is creating the magical effects associated with Rune Magic, but that the god is.

> What effect does this have for the rules? In any case, *no*
> bookkeeping up-front. But we might need to introduce another
> stat, tracking how much power someone has spent on a certain
> spell.

Sounds not unduly different from counting Rune Power, or indeed points of conventional rune magic.

> IMO, Saint's blessings in Glorantha are nothing but a form of Divine
> Magic...

Yup, I subscribe to this view, too. Of course, an orthodox Hrestoli would be appalled by the comparison, but many Rokari, I think, are suspicious of saintly veneration for this very reason.

> The *real* atheists would not bother with this type of magic, as it
> would taint part of their soul with those "mythological" patterns,
> and gradually losing control over their actions.

> They'd use Sorcery.

One might apply this same argument to "real" montheists, too...

Alex.