Forgotten God

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:19 1997

Ian Gorlick:

> Mike Cule about God Forgot:
> I've got rather a different take on God Forgot. The Forgotten were theists back
> in the God Time, but their god (whose name is no longer remembered) did not
> return when the God's Wars were ended and Time began.

Then what do you make of the Brithini lords in Talar Hold? What of their relation to the Waertagi?

> This caused them to look
> for other paths. They tried making gods (they participated in the creation of
> Nysalor and Zistor) but both of these passed away.

So you think the Leftarm Islanders (or whatever 1st Age God Forgot was called) were faithful to Gbaji, even after Arkat had landed in Kethaela?

> They tried the Brithini way,
> but it was sterile and hopeless.

More sterile and hopeless than the mock-Mostali way of Zistor?

> Especially after the Machine Wars, when so many
> casualties could not be brought back to life, the Brithini way was seen to only
> postpone death; it offered no lasting hope.

I doubt the people of God Forgot ever were mass followers of the Brithini form of immortality. While some of their founders may have been descended from the Kingdom of Logic, IMO a large part of the populace are indigenous Kethaelans.

> They now believe that all things must die. Even gods die eventually, so there is
> no value in tying yourself to them. [...]

Oh, no, not another "Glory in Death" philosophy, aren't the broos enough?

> Their society is very similar to Brithini. They have adopted Brithini caste
> structures and rituals. They are not as scrupulous about the rituals as the
> Brithini so they do age, but more slowly than other mortals.

I don't think that descendants of mortals have any chance of increased life-span without use of a certain magical ritual involving oysters or similar components, not even the Rokari who claim so. Longevity through religious affilitation is known only from the Church of Immortality, which has to proselytize in order to produce a useful effect for its leaders.

> Nick Brooke about Dronar symbols:
> While I can't dispute that the plough is an appropriate symbol for the Dronar, I
> do feel that it is rather too inconvenient to be commonly used in many rituals.
> Might I suggest that some other characteristic farm implements might be more
> appropriate such as a scythe, a flail, a shovel, a hoe, etc. Many of these could
> also be used in some fashion to scourge a miscreant.

Which would be contrary to ultra-conservative Malkionism/Brithinism as proclaimed by Hrestol's judges. Farmers don't fight, unless giving up their immortal soul/ity (spell forbidden by Uvostio: was this spell employed by Hrestol on his Seshnegi farmer caste members? Was Uvostio one of the judges of Sog City).

IMO the farmer caste punishment must not kill the victim, but remove its access to the benefits of life. Hair-splitting? Not to Brithini minds, I assure you. A Farmer must not kill, although he may withhold the life-giving gifts he provides.

To be true to the rumours of my cruelty etc.: I'm certain it is members of the Farmer caste who geld stallions and bulls. What about Hrestol?

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #220