Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #223

From: Styopa <liebx004_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 95 23:29:17 CST

>>Windmasters has lots of shieldmen using classic heater shields, a
>>few polearms, and almost no spears. They form a column about 6-8
>>fighters wide and 6-8 deep, then charge straight in low and fast,
>>pushing past the first rank of shields into the polearms and spears
>>in the back. Atenveldt proved soft and squishy on the inside, year
>>after year.

...and later, the conclusion is suggested that mobility is most important than shield walls, etc.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see something starkly missing from the above? I admit complete lack of SCA experience but, while the above sounds superficially quite nifty, there's a problem that was "solved" by the Assyrians, among others. Coming in "low and fast" is great, until you are facing real, killing weapons. You come in low and fast, you have little control of your own body. Great for berserkers, not good for anyone with a brain - what exactly do you do then when the guy in front of you drops to one knee, and plants his spear? Has anyone done this to these guys? Yah, you kill the guy whose planted his spear, but that little device has also just impaled the first 3 guys in your charging group, killed your impetus, and left you vulnerable.
Or caltrops. They were pretty popular for defensive-minded troops. (I don't mean the little medieval ones, i mean the big ones with 6-8" spines - the kind that bother your only if you're not looking at them, i.e. running. if you're walking, they can be avoided with ease.) Or finally, and this may be going beyond the level of expertise in the SCA, but what about simply drifting files apart ala Scipio Africanus?

I guess what I'm ranting about is that these SCA conclusions can't take you very far. Yes, they can give you a feel for how useful a shield is, or how hard it is to change weapons in combat, but for deriving useful data for large scale behaviours, its probably worse than useless, albeit pretty fun!
- -Steve

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #224