Permanent sorcerous magic?

From: yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 13:12:54 BST

Klaus Ole Kristiansen says :

>There was some talk on this list some time ago about sorcerous resurection.
>How about sorcerous stat repair? If it is impossible, Malkionism is
>manifestly inferior to other religions.

That depends on whether you see Malkionism as fundamentaly a religion or a philosophy. I have been puzzling over that one for a while.

Note that Sorcerous magic is not realy capable of making permanent changes. Enchantments are the only exception I can think of. Even familiars are only temporary, they revert after the death of the sorcerer. I realy dont think this is just an incidental side effect of the way the sorcery rules work. It is an inevitable consequence of the philosophy which underlies it.

Malkioni believe in a basicaly mechanistic universe in which everything eventualy devolves into an entropic state. Ghosts that do not achieve solace just dissipate, spirits are mindless decaying automatons, etc. It is only the impossition of will that maintains order. Thus a sorcerer could cast an Enhance CON or whatever, but can't effect a permanent change.

Rune magic, on the other hand, directly manipulates reality at a fundamental level, because it is keyed in to the basic natural processes of Glorantha - the runes themselves.

Simon Hibbs
yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk