Re: Bows

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 17:39:23 -0500 (CDT)

Jim Heaton (and others) said

        Something about Comp bows falling apart in damp weather. Someone, whose name escapes me now, but he was something of an expert on the subject of bow, once decribed the glue that holds together a Mongol composite bow as "similar to Knox Gelatine" in enviromental qualities.

        I have seen mention that the mongols didn't fight in the rain due to problems with their bows, (which also involved wet bowstrings, I think) but I think they had them fairly well protected against casual exposure. However. . .

        Hungary, Russia and China are not composed completly of dry areas, and the Mongols did launch several invasions of Japan. So it seems pretty fair to assume that being in a humid area does not cause automatic problems with Comp. bows.

        The Turks also used Comp bows, and they were right on the Med and the Black Sea, as well as Bosnia and other such counties.

        On long bows in Glorantha, I though that only the dragonnewts used longbows, per WF14?

Kevin