Stygianism

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 17:30:14 +1300

Mr Happy:
- ---------

>What distinguishes a worshipper of a "false" god, who subscribes to the
>Stygian heresy, from a person who worships the same god but does n't
>venerate the Invisible God?

Slight confusion here (helped no doubt by the lack of Decent Malkioni Material). A False God is really one of those Euhumerized opponents of Malkion who were cast out from the Kingdom of Logic (ie Ehilm, Worlath, Humct etc). A Rokari may claim Orlanth to be a False God but a Stygian (assuming he gave a shit about Malkioni Orthoxdoxy - ie one of them Safelstran Nuts) could point out that he was talking a load of bollocks.

>Is it possible that Stygian temples provide
>sorcery to initiates instead of spirit magic? For example, a Stygian
>Chalana Arroy cultist might know Treat Wounds instead of Heal.

Certainly.

>b) people (such as the trader in "Hut of Darkness" TOTRM#9) who use all
>three types of magic strike me as being a little daft. Apart from which,
>according to "Troll Gods" this is exactly what the (Stygian) trollish
>cult of Arkat does.

The Trolls join the Cult of Arkat to become a sorcerer (ie learn the other sorcery skills rather than to learn sorcery as an adjunct to their other magic). In fact, I'm a wee bit hazy on to what Arkat's actual role in conventional Malkioni Society is. The Guy makes Judas Iscariot look like a steadfast believer so I have great difficulty in accepting that Arkat's human cults are little more than weird Secret Societies.

>If Stygian temples did teach sorcery rune magic might they not ...
>go even further and say that their god is in fact a saint of the
>Invisible God.

They can and do. One of the main reason why the Iron Rod of Rokar and the Watchdog Committee of Loskalm classifies them as Vile Heretics.

>This would make it easier to
>reconcile the Stygian heresy with other sects of Malkionism

I don't think Stygianism is actually a unified heresy (about the only thing they can agree upon is that Arkat is Somebody Important cf Cult of Arkat the Deciever and probably the Guild of Chaos Monks).