Re: Carmanian Questions

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 01:44:12 -0400 (EDT)

Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
> I loved the Carmanian stuff but have a couple of questions...

Thank you. I'm surprised no questions on the new place names. Surprised and happy, as I don't quite grok them yet.

> >For example, Kaufan Destrino, the Satrap of
> >Bindle, was born in House Destrino and first adopted by House
> >Candinope and then by the Satrap's House, Alon, before he ascended
> >to the Pearl Throne.
>
> Pearl Throne? The Red Emperor sits on this in the FS! Is this the
> Throne the Satrap sits on in the Castle..oops Qasir of Gods Rock?

FS? What's that? Clearly, the Red Emperor sits on a different Pearl Throne than does the Satrap of Bindle. The Red Emperor's throne was carved from a single huge pearl brought back from one of the Red Goddess' heroquests. The Pearl Throne of Bindle is formed of ivory, covered with a veneer of pearl, with decorations chased in brass and gold, and is a relic from Harangvat times.

Well, what do you expect for an answer made up at 1:30 in the morning?

> >[1] Count is a foreign term. The native Carmanian term is Satrap,
> >but for private reasons Destrino has adopted a foreign title.
>
> What is the Carmanian Title of the Governer of the Western Reaches?

His Eminence Palamtales, Prince of the Alcazar, Governor of the Western Reaches, the Servant of Divine Moonson. Oh, you want a Carmanian word other than shah for "governor"? Not a traditional word. They'd probably borrow a word from New Pelorian, or if there is an Institute for Linguistic Purity in Carmania I'd suspect they'd pick an old word related to, and sounding similar to, Karmanos. Governor works fine for me.

I'm off to bed to sleep tonight off. 'Night all.