Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #249

From: Paul Reilly <paul_at_phyast.pitt.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 16:51:31 +0500

  Paul here, making a rare appearance during my student's pre-finals period to support Sandy in his archery debate with Joerg.

  Sandy mentions several well-known pieces of evidence supporting his contentions, but may have missed one (or it might have come up earlier): archaelogical examination of the bodies at Agincourt showed that most were killed by depressed skull fractures, matching the description of the battle in contemporary chronicles. (The archers joined in the hand-to-hand  with mallets)

  Note that along with Sandy, I do think that the archery tactics of the English during the Hundred Years' War were an important factor in their victories - just pointing out that most of the killing does seem to have been done hand to hand.

  (And yes, archaeologists can tell the difference between a skull fractured while the person was alive and the skull collapsing years later)

 -paul