Spirits.

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_alf2.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 13:02:45 +0100 (BST)

  Ken9Jack9_at_aol.com wrote in #251

> Just tossing in my two Clacks herex.I would think the idea of massed shamans
> would be tough in more ways than one. Each shaman works with a different set
> of individual spirits (with the exception of a few like Horned Man), doesn't
> he/she?

Now, I understand that Frazer is n't held in high regard anymore but one point he makes in "The Golden Bough" is that spirits are n't individuals. Indeed he suggests that this is the fundamental distinction between spirits and gods. This applies to spirits with personalities (rare enough in Glorantha)just as much as to automatons like Spell Spirits. This seems to aply equally to Glorantha. In GoG the Mostali foreman tells us that spirits are the mindless, broken parts of the World Machine still trying to fulfill their functions because they are obilivious of their changed circumstances.
- -------
Andrew Behan.