lunar army & heroes

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 08:54:00 -0500 (EST)

> a feat which no Orlanthi force ever managed even once, up until
  Argrath's time

  And, I think, rarely managed even DURING Argrath's time. Though KoS   presents a rousing story of Orlanthi triumphing over evil, many of the   successes IMO required outside assistance--Praxian nomads under Jaldon   (or Narmeed Whirlvishbane), Pentan nomads (both before and after Sheng),   dragons, etc.

> This is of two interpretations, and (naturally) I like mine
  best; namely that the College of Magic, Cavalry Corps, Thunder Delta   Slingers, Heartland Corps, and Imperial Bodyguard make up basically   the entirety of the Lunar army.

  There is only other force that immediately comes to my mind. That is   the Great Sister's Army centered in northern Peloria, though this might   be little more than a couple units. There may be pieces of these units,   though, that are not brought south, but remain north or are lost before   the DP timeframe (I can't picture leaving Glamour undefended by at least   one unit of the Imperial Bodyguard). There is at least one phalanx of   the Heartland Corps (Beryl?) that is mentioned in the muster of 1613   (WF12?) that does not appear in DP (I've always assumed it was swallowed   by the dragon in 1625). Neither does the Silver Shields (of Pavis fame)   appear in DP (another victim of the dragon?).

> Lunar "national guard" troops. The Furthest Native Corps is a fine
  example of same. Probably every subdivision in the Empire has some   equivalent of the Native Furthest Corps, armed and equipped according   to local mores and techniques, and trained to fight alongside the Red   Army at need. The Native Furthest Corps, in fact, may be one of the   weakest of these militias. I would expect Carmania and the Redlands   to have the strongest defense forces.

  I do agree with this and these units are the bulk of what I would   identify as the other armies. I know the Native Imther Corps guards the   eastern border against Garsting and Tork (and, theoretically, Balazar).   I think besides Carmania and the Redlands, that Saird and Alkoth have a   potent force with a long-standing warrior tradition. This may only be a   few powerful units, though, instead of many weaker ones (and of course   they can call Shargash!).

> Most of the Lunar deities are former _humans_, which doesn't
  mean that they were necessarily heroes.

  Good point. And even if they were heroes, this does not imply that they   were fighting heroes (if Etyries or Deezola went through a hero phase,   their heroic actions would have been far more mundane).

> Twin Stars are a spirit, not a hero.

  They are a spirit counter in DP/Nomad Gods. However, the writeup of the

  Nomad Gods counter (early WF, forget which one) states that the Twin   Stars are Erelia and Verelia, daughters of the Red Moon and the Man   Inside the Invisible Shirt. Greg has told me that they were pieces of a   shattered planet brought back together by the Red Goddess. Ancient   heroes resurrected? Demigod daughters of the Red Moon? Spirits that   can manifest as humans to convert the heathen (ie Sableriders)? I'm   open to options on them.

> Yanafal T. may have been a superhero. Maybe not, but probably at
  least a very powerful hero (in DP terms, maybe a combat value of   8-12, unlike the usual Hero = 4).

  Semantics--what IS or DEFINES a Superhero (vs a hero)? I'm quite   prepared to accept your list of the Superheroes since time began   (although Sheng is described as a 'demigod' I could certainly call him a   superhero).

> The upcoming wars are known as the 'Hero Wars" and that's for
  a reason -- there's going to be more heroes than ever before by an   amazing number....in general heroes are exceedingly rare in Glorantha.

  It also suggests that what a local group might term a hero does not   equal what would be described as a hero in DP terms.

  Harald

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #257