Ethilrist and Loral...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 1995 17:38:39 +1300

Andrew Behan:

I had written about Loral:

>> All the civilised humans come from scattered Isles up further north, such
>> as Loral. From what I have heard, they all are plagued by monsters (such
>> as the _72_ headed hydra that lives on Loral) which they may worship,
>> propiate (a la Kong) or simply go to war with.

Andrew comments:

>The culture on Loral isn't supposed to have been that advanced before the
>Closing. During the Closing a big bunch of monsters appeared there, out
>of nowhere and now (as far as outsiders can tell) the beasties have wipped
>out the human inhabitants.

(scribbles furiously into his notebook) and the source of this info is? This is not really contradictory with my account. The God Learners when they conquered Loral (They had conquered Teleos so I can presume they reached Loral) could have invented a special ritual that kept all the nasty monsters away from Loral. Then when the Closing struck, the Spell is dissipated and ('Eee-ooo! EEE-OOO!') the shit hits the fan.

>In the RQ Con Compendium HeroQuest seminar Greg Stafford uses Sir
>Ethilrist as an example of a quester who found his own way on the Hero
>plane. IMHO this must happen once in a while, otherwise where do spells of
>Hero cults come from? However Greg failed to mention quite how Sir
>Ethilrist got into Hell in the first place. OK, he could have kept
>travellling in a straight line until he reached the edge of the world
>or jumped down Hellcrack but not every hero has travelled that far, surely?

According to (IMHO) excellent, absolutely rad, Wyrm's Footnotes, Ethilrist went to Hell in the Nidan Mountains. He meets some Darkness Diety there but I can't remember the name. This is confirmed by the fact that he meets Garanian Auroch in Hell. Garanian Auroch was mentioned in Dorastor:LoD as the Bull headed Demigod who claimed to have tied Arachne Solara to her Net during the Sun Stop and was an interesting omission from the dramatic personnae in the Broken Council. Since the very good Broken Council Guidebook talk of a Kingdom of Beasts in Fronela, it seems that Sir Ethilrist has merely reached the Fronelan Hell.

Why Sir Ethilrist went there in the first place is left unstated. My personal feeling is that he was told by the Mostali at Bad Deal that proper respect for a person of his station could be found there in an attempt to get rid of him.

Other ways to the Heroplane besides the obvious ones undoubtedly exist. The Puzzle Cannel in Pavis during Sacred Time is the best one I can think of. Most people tend not to go to these places because the rate of return is quite low.