Star Captains

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 23:01:19 BST

Pam Carlson gets ever-so-mildly rulesish, but no flag no foul, say I.

> Last night our intrepid Orlanthi attacked a small Lunar Army supply convoy
> on the ROC, guarded by 11 Silver Shields and a couple of monitors. Just for
> fun, I made the SShields Polestar initiates.

At the risk of recapitulating the Yanafal Tarnils flamewar, my personal feeling is that Polestar is more of an officers' cult, and it'd be rare for "ordinary" soldiers to be Polaris Initiates.

> [...] slaughtered the nice Deezola healer [...] As this was expressly
> against the Yuthuppan Rules of Engagement (revised 1602), he figured
> it was time for some divine help; he called a Star Captain.

Your copy appears to be out of date, Sub-Manipular Entomarch Karlson; you should have the updated 1613 version by now (pico-summary: nuke the bastards from Lunar Orbit).

> [Suggestion of a Call Star Captain spell, which does lightning damage,
> and summons up a spirit]

I don't think either the spirit combat or the lightning are Thematically Correct, really. Nifty SPFX, though. ;-)

Perhaps an Incarnative schtick (as David D. suggests Grazer Polari do, broadly) would be a better approach. It'd certainly fit with the idea of Polestar being a Rune Lord-centred cult, rather than one with Heinous priestly magic.

However he appears, the Captain should be defensively pretty rock, and confer a suped-up Morale type benefit, as well as Battle for larger engagements. After all, mythically a Star Captain is supposed to be Resilient, rather than zap-bang-pow.

Peter Metcalfe:
> Strictly speaking, the spell should be Summon Luxite or to preserve Sandy's
> sensibilities, Summon Shanasse.

I think Call Star Captain is a Way More Appropriate And Evocative title, myself. After all, Summon Lodril doesn't produce a square-headed guy with a hard-on, so I don't think whether it's a "full" manifestation is too much of a worry.

> Vorumaini Luxites would be like that Japanese Dude in 'Brazil'.

Clearly another sally in your ongoing battle to give Vormain a Carbon Copy Solar Religion, Peter. Where are those Gift Carriers when you need one? I see your "Never spell the adjective meaning "pertaining to Vormain" the same twice running" is still going strong, though...

> I would make it a three point spell. Reusable if done in a ceremony,
> one-use if done in an emergency.

This is probably quite sensible, though if the usual availability pattern applies, it would have made it unusable by the commander in this case, he seemingly being a Mere Initiate.

Alex.