Gloranthan physical reality

From: DarkLazer_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 16:01:50 -0400

In GD v2 #15 Mr. Petersen offers some thought-provoking speculation about Troll genetics. This made me wonder how closely Glorantha parallels the Real World. Do we really have genes and chromasomes in Glorantha? This suggests we have equivalents of DNA and RNA, which further suggests amino acids, which implies most of the rest of organic chemstry, which in turn moves us into physical chemistry, thermodynamics, quantum chemistry, etc.

Somehow, I feel that having the physical laws of Glorantha exactly parallel the Real World creates problems, even if someone can figure out how to overlay the magic systems on top of Real World mechanics. Obviously something has to give, yet I am having difficulty figuring out where to draw the line. Newton? Aristotle? Pythagoras? The matter has come up in campaigns I have run and played in. Often a patchwork of ad hoc rulings that tended to unravel was made. I am hoping that some thoughtful individuals can assist me to derive some useful, at least partially consistent, model, or at least some insight into how to approach such questions.

Stephen R. Malelu (aka Burnt Out Bulb) darklazer_at_aol.COM

"The Wurled is Rooled by Dops!"