Re: AD&D vs RQ

From: Tim Leask <tsl_at_cs.mu.OZ.AU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 14:00:39 +1000 (EST)

> From: Lewis Jardine <JARDINE_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 9:32:18 +0100 (BST)
> Subject: MOB v AD&D...
>
> Hi Folks
> Just a quicky on MOB's RQ characters v AD&D characters hack up.
> 1) Yes, the fighters will be better (probably) especially if the AD&Ders
> do not have exceptional STR. Remember more than 8 pts of damage is rare in
> AD&D and plate stops that.
> 2) My money's on the AD&D party. The first fireball is going to crisp
> about 50% of the RQ party (even at 7th level)! So half of the RQers make
> their POW v POW saving throw and are unaffected, the others will take at
> least half damage... Magic missile is also a killer, at 7th level it does
> 14 pts of damage ignoring armour.

Ah, but remember how slow those AD&D Magic users are at casting spells.It'll take them a least a round or two of RQ combat to cast most spells. If they are damaged during the casting of the spell it's lost. A quick demoralize of the magic user at the start of combat (resisting with POW 0) will prevent the magic user from casting any offensive magic at all. Befuddle and disrupt can also be used to good effect.

Tim

Department of Computer Science    /*\__/\      "Anyone can hold the helm when
University of Melbourne          <       \       the sea is calm."
Parkville, Vic., 3052, AUSTRALIA  \  _  _/      -- Publilius Syrus
Phone: +61 3 282 2439              \| --
e-mail: tsl_at_cs.mu.oz.au