Re: Castle of Lead/Dorastor

From: C.D.GRAHAM <GRAHAMCD_at_charlie.aston.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:51 1997

With the interest in the castle of lead in Dorastor I noticed several differences between CoT and the Dorastor module .

The Runelords from CoT just seemed to walk through the spider woods although when the spider woods were detailed in the Dorastor module it looked like the spiders put up an active defence against anything entering into the woods.

I guess the possible reasons being:
1) Nobody had deemed to think about a sentient spider race in the spider woods in CoT. There were big dangerous spider there and that was it. CoT was just including a write up of the Vivamort cult.

2) Those foolhardy stormbull/Orlanthi runelords ain't going to mention the dozen odd followers they lost to spiders. Just include the juicy bits about slaughtering vampires.

3) Some sort of mistical treaty with the spiders so as to not end up as husks. The spiders knew there was chaos in the Castle of Lead and allowed a few chaos bashing people through.

4) There are safe passages through the wood that guides know about. Or the guides were worshippers of vivamort and were ordered to lead a few nice juicy adventurers through the woods for supper time for the vampires. I can see it now:
Guide: Sure, I know how to get through the castle of lead past all those spiders.
Bozo the Storm Kahn: Chaos! So you regulary go to the castle of lead to attend the foul chaos there....SPLAT!.

5) My favorite, Halgrim's (?) party were actually nasty chaos worshipping folk attempting to do away with the old established chaos order to take over for themselves. They actually knew the way safely through the woods as they were vivamort followers!

Just my insane thoughts
Cheers
Chris G