Eol and Sky Storms

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 15:44:51 +1300

Stephen Yambor:

had written an interesting piece on Eol conscript. Eol's a weird place and I suspect most of the details lies within Greg's mind. The main source of information is in G:CotHW although some details can be found in the Lunar Wane Chronicles (magcial stones are to be found there).

However I think most units of Eolans under the Lunar Empire are mercenaries and auxillaries, fighting according to their traditional lifestyle (stand in the field in a loose information and fire shot at the enmey until he charges you. Then Run Away to Fight another day.) Tuu is somewhat unusal when he joins up in a regular Lunar unit. I liked the description of how an Espirit de Corps(e?) is made.

Andrew Behan:

>IMHO the Sky
>Storm is connected with the Solar Storm, an ancient ruler of the Kingdom
>of Ignorance. Steve Gilham (TotRM #9) has previously pointed out that like a
>cerain character from Lears nonsense poetry the ghost of Sun Storm's
>(illuminated?) third eye wanders Jankley Bore at night sometimes. No
>doubt the Aurora is merely the luminesence of Sun Storms spectral nose
>lighting up the night sky! I fancy that this ghost protects the East from
>the incursions of the renegade storm gods and that when he leaves his
>post to wander mournfully across his former domain the Thunderer gusts
>through the paddy fields.

If the Sky Storm (the phenomenon) is actually connected to the Sun Storm (the God), then I would expect to see his cult elsewhere in the World. It would be somewhat unusal for a recognition and worship of a physical phenomenon to be confined _solely_ to one locale. ('Holy Stargazer, What's that?' 'Beats the Shit out of me...')

I think that in Bliss in Ignorance, the Sun Storm has been identified with the Sky Storm in the Heavens rather than the actual God having anything to do with it. Thus Priests of the Sun Storm in Ignorance, being normal peaceful types, would perhaps get all excited when the Sky Storm appears, (proving to the Mandarins the inherent error of their enlightenment).

In other parts of the World, others would connect the Sky Storm to some other god. The God Learners might connect it to Tanian trying to conquer and burn his father Lorian for example.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #56