Sunny past and even more writing

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 09:04:17 +0200

Pam:
>Gee, Nils. Open coat and glue target to chest!

It wouldn't be the first time... better go find that arrow-proof kevlar vest.

>It's a splendid idea, but does anyone really believe in Yelm's Godtime
>Empire?

I certainly do, because it makes Glorantha feel more mythical to me. If the godtime events, the deities and the old myths, are just products of the human psyche and political convenience it's just not as fun as if the Sun really ruled the world once, the Dara Happan nobles really are descendants of the sky gods etc.

But of course that doesn't rule out a _huge_ variety of present-day interpretations. However, some mythic echo of a mythic long-ago event where a rebellious deity killed a good/evil ruler should be there frex.

Peter:
>The Sun ruled over
>the Surface World in the Old Days is perhaps the best that can be said
>to please everybodies PoV.

Thanks Peter!

Pam again:
>Might it have been carried or rooted in the Pentan horse nomads?

I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

>Do they have a script?

They probably have little use for it now, but I bet there are arcane symbols used in their most sacred rites which nobody understands anymore but which if properly researched by real world scholars could be tracked back to some common precursor. Like in our world the latin and cyrillic alphabets and the nordic runes all have an ancestry in the greek alphabet which in turn was constructed from the phoenician alphabet etc.

>Do they have any ties to Teshnos?

Not in my opinion. Going back to Teshnan script now. We know very little about the history of Teshnos, so I can't say if there is any reason for them to adopt or develop a totally different writing system than one derived from some common ancestor.

Peter:
>Having managed to start of a minor civil war in Sweden

Don't sweat, we're just two pedants trying to prove who has the most concise way of expression, or rather, who doesn't.

><enters telepathic mode> the...book..is..Tecknens Rike...by...by...
>Cecilia Lindqvist... <exits telepathic mode>.

Sorcerer Metcalfe, methinks thou hast researched deeply in the sorcerous art of Range to achieve such exalted reach with thine mind reading magic.

>As
>Nils is from Sweden, the book he had read would be in swedish and the
>chances of two books on the origins of Chinese Ideograms in Swedish are
>very slim indeed.

Ahem, well one of Lindkvist's major sources is Grammata Serica by another swedish professor of chinese...

>I have read the English Translation and find it excellent.

Obviously I found it excellent too. It gives a very good general picture of chinese culture and is great for getting into the mindset of a very foreign culture. Much recommended.

>There are Dragonnewts in the East Isles? Or are these the Sorn (Evil Bird/
>Pterodactyl folk?)

In our East Isles stuff there are dragonewts, with boats (!). The sorns are bad keets who sided with chaos and not dragon-related at all.

Klaus on colours:
>This has nothing
>to do with rainbows, but it will never cease to amaze me that
>to the English speaking word, pink is a seperate color rather
>than a shade of red

What's strange with that? In swedish we have _two_ words for pink: rosa and skaer (that vowel should be an a with two dots above, !%"#¤#* 7-bit ASCII, long live Unicode). And do, I will not make a discussion out of that. I am guilty of too many non-Gloranthan discursion of late.

/Nils W, proudly wearing the concentric circles on his chest (now that begins to look like a Fire/Sky rune, doesn't it...)