Trolls and Chaos

From: yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 95 11:44:48 BST

Richard Crawley asks :

>I really am confused on this one. What behaviour
>shows a broo to be chaotic and a Zorak Zorani
>not to be?

Chaos is not just a matter of behaviour. It is part of the being of a broo, not just it's doing.

>If the troll's fight "in the defence of her clan" is based
>purely on self-interest what is the spark of right-
>ness that stops all troll-neighbours labelling Uz
>chaotic monsters worthy of immediate slaughter?

Absolutely nothing, and in fact they occasionaly do. ZZ is associated with disorder, which is quite often confused with chaos. I think very few gloranthans actualy have a very clear understanding or knowledge of runes. We have the advantage of access to the archived knowledge of god learner scholars in the form of cross cultural myths, cult writeups, spell and rune lists.

Most gloranthans probably know a considerable amount of detail about their own culture, but may have an extremely vague and jaundiced view of everything else, chaos included. The cult runes may even be considered to be cult secrets, mystical symbols that should not be revealed to the profane. For example, an Orlanthi fighting lunars on a battlefield may have absolutely no idea what that funny symbol (moon rune) is these foreigners have painted on their shields. - ------
And on Trolls

>Sandy has some bizarre things to say about troll morality.
>:
>>Paraphrasing - they have no sense of love, loyalty, or
>>altruism but rely on such emotions in others to maintain their
>>positions.

In that last sentence, Sandy was talking about Uzuz, or Mistress Race trolls. The other quotations were about regular uz, or Dark Trolls. Sandy was pointing out the difference in psychology between these two types of troll, not making contradictory statements about trolls in general.

Simon Hibbs
yfcw29_at_castle.ed.ac.uk