....and more trolls

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 17:47:59 +0800

>> I agree that Uzuz are a different case.....
>
> Sandy & David are arguing about trolls, and the above confuses
>me. Wasn't Bina Bang Uzuz? She is supposed to have defeated Lord Lurker
>in Darkness through love, if I remember correctly.
>
> Andrew

        I guess I was assuming that Bina Bang was uzko, but if anyone can tell me otherwise, then fine - at least, she was born within time, and I guess most of my comments about the uzuz referred to the REALLY old ones.

[Peter Metcalfe]

>And so they would feel the same to Feral Broos who do not worship Chaos?

        Broo are an intrinsically chaotic species, while cave trolls are not. If chaos had not entered the world, cave trolls would still be dark trolls, but broo would not.

        In any case, I don't think any troll would allow a broo to live long enough to explain their religious beliefs.

>Hardly. I think recognizable kinship really counts in the Trolls eyes.
>Afterall look at Trollkin.

        I agree - troll respect of kinship overcomes their hatred of chaos, and cave trolls are still quite obviously trolls.

[I said troll religious rituals particularly include ritual chaos killing]

>Um, what religious rituals? Kyger Litor skinning Thed? Hell, them Uz
>are know to skin everybody if they are in the mood. Zorak Zoran killing
>Pocharngo, Krjalk and others? Don't forget Flamal and other innocents.
>The image of Uz and their Gods as being diameterically opposed to Chaos is
>largely an image of Orlanthi PoV's about Trolls.

        I agree that trolls consider chaos only one of their many enemies, but I think they recognise that chaos is an important enemy, and one that there can never be real peace with, and that they must devote special effort to fighting. Which is how they feel about Mostali and Aldryami as well. In some places certain humans fit into this category as well.

> The Lunars would view any
>Uz hatred of them as being a result of their worship of the Celestial Gods
>(Heaven and Hell) rather than the Red Moons use of Chaos.

        I think that the trolls of Dagori Inkarth have a good number of problems with the Lunar Empire, including light worship, chaos use, and venerating Gbaji. But for other trolls, like the Yolp mountain trolls where the Annilla cult is powerful, all these factors are less important than their obvious Lunar connection, so the trolls don't hate them.

        I think many Dagori Inkarth trolls feel about the Lunar empire the way your Praxian chaos fighters do - they consort with all the bad guys, so they are obviously the bad guys themselves. While the Yolp mountain trolls feel about the Lunars the way many of your conservative Yelmites must - well, they have all these disturbing connections, and mess with all sorts of disturbing powers, so I don't fully trust them, but they are obviously our religious allies, so we support them (and its politically expedient too, of course).

        Cheers

                        David