Re: chaos: good or bad?

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 13:03:53 -0500

>Part of chaos seems to be random mobility/change.

        In some ways and at some times chaos is very constant indeed.

>Yet Eurmal, disorder, is allowed. so why isn't he considered >chaotic?

	Disorder =/= Chaos.
	Law is not the opposite of Gloranthan chaos.

Chaos is frightening because it is tends towards utter destruction of the cosmos.

        If Zorak Zoran trolls are allowed a free reign, soon the environment is grossly distorted, with trolls dominating everything, eating whom they please, changing the ecology. If trolls were allowed to breed as they please, there would be more trolls, but in the end the population would reach a stable point.

        If broos were allowed a free reign, the environment is destroyed, rendered not only lifeless, but incapable of life. If broos are allowed to breed as they please, soon everything would be broos, and then the broos would breed among themselves to the point of destruction, for nothing else would be left.

        The classic analogy (which I've made before and will do again) is between you and a troll. You want the gold. The troll wants the gold. Both of you are bad, no doubt about it. But then along comes chaos and IT wants to destroy all the gold! Argh!