Broos

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 15:01:42 +0800

        Why do I seem to end up in such adversarial debate this last week or two? Obviously my biorythms or horoscope or something else I don't believe in. I assure everybody (Sandy particularly) that I am normally a tad more conciliatory, and I don't have any bad feelings toward anybody.

        Anyway, the last vestiges of the broo debate, before another overblown missive on trolls.

        Mike Cule takes issue with me:
>David Cake, he say:
>
>> Broo are an intrinsically chaotic species, while cave trolls are
>> not. If chaos had not entered the world, cave trolls would still be dark
>> trolls, but broo would not.
>
>Wrong. Sorry, but simply wrong. It is made clear in all the histories of the
>broos that at the 'start' of the Godtime, they were a simple animal/human
>nature oriented species. They were one of the first to be corrupted by chaos
>because their mother, the goddess Thed was part of the Unholy Three who brought
>chaos into the world.

        I did not mean to imply that there did not, at one time, exist a race of that are the ancestors of modern broo, and that are non-chaotic. What I did mean was that the modern race of broo is propagated entirely by virtue of their chaotic fertility ability, and the modern form of the race (or at least the modern tendency towards a plethora of forms) derives largely from its chaotic heritage. I think modern broo are about as close to the original race as, say, scorpion men are to humans.

        I guess I implicitly assumed that the ancient race from which the broos descended (generally referred to as the 'mistress race broo' round here) reproduced somewhat differently, and where not the parasitic genetically amorphous things that we meet these days. My image of the original broo is a race of relatively conventional beast men, much more homogenous than todays broo, without the chaotic fertility ability to father children on anything with an orifice and insufficient ability to escape. Perhaps a race of simple goat men, closely related to satyrs. as their does seem to be an association with goats specifically. Most notably, they probably included many more females (up to around 50%), as it was before Thed started getting jealous of others that they were created.

        So, anyone have any information on the breeding cycle of the original broo race? Or better ideas than mine?

        Cheers

                David
Computing Officer         |
Arts Faculty              |