myths, ludoch, satyrs

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 95 13:54:00 PDT

Nils:
>Then we are on the same track (I think). I try to avoid speaking of
Orlanth killing Yelm etc. preferring instead to say that Storm killed Sun. The reason for the deed, the names of the gods and what happened after should vary from place to place, but I'd think it really weird if Aldrya replaced Sun and Malkion replaced Storm in a certain version of the myth.

True. But at the heart of this myth is authority/status quo vs youth/change. "Storm" sought its own path and finally had to violently break with tradition to attain it, with both good and bad consequences.  "Sun" tried to keep the world together for the good of all, but impatience and greed finally wore away at it. Any figures concerned with these concepts will fit into this myth. Aldrya doesn't seem a good candidate, but Malkion does.

TROLLS/ HSUNCHEON/ INSTINCT I vote for David Cake's and Graeme's interpretation of broos originating from satyrs, or perhaps from proto-satyrs. Do satyrs have a special reason for their non-chaotic requirement to use other critters for procreation?  Are they related to unicorns?

Jim Chapin returns to the Ruml:
Yup- -I've read "The Alien Way", and it remains my favorite Dickenson story.  They'd make pretty good trolls. Can you give an example of your point below?
>trolls have to act in very complex situations which are far simpler
>for humans to deal with. There are areas in which trolls think while
>humans act instinctually!

I can agree with the premise that trolls act more on instinct than humans do. To a lesser extent, I think Hsuncheon do too. My Telmori sniff things a lot, mark territories in both visual and olfactory ways, howl to communicate over distance, live in family packs, and don't attack unless they're bothered first. (And humans think they're so superior...)

LUDOCH Nils points out that Ludoch have a horizontal tail fin - like cetaceans.

A quick aside - those horizontal tails ("flukes" in English), are found on three different land mammals that returned to the sea: toothed whales, baleen whales, and dugongs (an asian sea-cow). All three of there groups probably evolved flukes independantly, and they originated from quite different groups of mammals. Says a whole lot about a genome's potential for change. Pretty cool, eh?

Sandy:
>The ouori are certainly able

to wriggle around on land (and did so, in my campaign), but I don't think the ludoch can do much landside maneuvering. Sitting on rocks to comb their hair is the best they can manage.

A concerted effort might get the ludoch overland short distances. I heard a story at the New England Aquarium (Boston) , in which their bottle-nosed dolphins wriggled out into the lobby one night. Apparently, the dolphins were just curious, and magaged to go about 150 feet before the night guard found them. With hands the ludoch could pull themselves along even better.

> Ysabbau = placoderms

Eesh. Good call. Do the Ysabbau have armored plates in addition to their nasty, pointy teeth?

Pam