Zong, Three Beans

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 08 Sep 95 03:30:28 EDT

___
Tim asks:

> Can anyone tell me what happened to Hunter (Foundchild)?

The trollish god of Hunters is called Zong. His cult writeup is in Troll Gods, as you know. This is the Hunter god most Trolls worship. Hunter gods are much of a muchness, though: in Gods of Glorantha, the same shortform writeup of "Hunter Gods" covers Foundchild, Odayla, Rasout and Zong (if memory serves). What you have in the Zong longform writeup is the bare bones of the "Hunter Gods" shortform, fleshed out with some troll-specific details. If you want to run human Hunter worshippers, give'em appropriate spells (frex, Command Beast for local prey animals) and patch in background colour and detail of your own.

Me, I'm not so sure about this "all Hunter Gods are the same" business myself. I quite like that more shamanistic feel you get when the Hunter explicitly enters into a deal with the Lord of Beasts. Hunter respects and propitiates the Great Stag, for instance, and in return the Great Stag will send enough deer his way. This is how my Wenelians would operate, at least. (Obvious link to the Peaceful Cut, I know). The powers of the cult would not need to be changed, but the way in which they are acquired is different: you don't "worship the Hunter God", you worship your prey beasts in the same way the First Hunter must have done. The ecology kinda tilts against the Hunter: being brilliant at killing things ain't enough when you have to get their consent, too.

Just my tuppence-worth.

'Babalob' asks:

> I have seen many off-hand references to the 3-Bean Circus. I think that at
> one time I had some idea of what this is. Could Sandy or Someone Who Knows
> please fill me in on its specifics OR give me a hint of where to look in
> published sources?

OK. The Three-Bean Circus is a pacifist cult from Prax. They're associated with Paps-Eiritha, and some details can be found in "Cults of Prax" and "Nomad Gods". What happens is, you're out in the Plaines at night, when this bunch of long-haired hippy types turn up to the campfire and offer you their amazing, unique "Three-Bean Salad". You eat this, and ponder the harmonious unity of everything for quite a while afterwards. (The cult is loosely based on some acquaintances of Greg's back in the Seventies). The 3BC cult's unique rune spell creates a zone of Peace, which is pretty handy in perilous Prax. Only Chaos is immune to their Pax, and this immunity is demonstrated by its disintegration into a writhing self-pitying self-hating ylem (so it's not that useful to them). The 3BC are unreliable, though: in the Nomad Gods game they join the side of whoever's just been made peaceful and lurch from hand to hand around the board...

Nick